GRK 495 = TEKNON (τεκνον; is born, son) = EPITELEIN (επιτελειν; to perform ritual; see Hebrews 8:5) = POLEMOS (πολεμοσ; a battle) = UMEN (υμεν; union?; see G5211 Hymenaios, from υμην = 498, Humen, god of weddings).
= intensify meaning of following verb + teleo
= make an end and bring something to its destined goal) (word study: epiteleo
) ... The Greek historian Herodotus wrote that epiteleo
was used of performing of religious services, referring to the act of fully completing the ritual of any sacrifice. [William Barclay] "the words Paul uses for to begin (enarchomai
) and for to complete (epiteleo
) are technical terms for the beginning and the ending of a sacrifice. There was an initial ritual in connection with a Greek sacrifice. A torch was lit from the fire on the altar and then dipped into a bowl of water to cleanse it with its sacred flame; and with the purified water the victim and the people were sprinkled to make them holy and clean. Then followed what was known as the euphemia
, the sacred silence, in which the worshipper was meant to make his prayers to his god. Finally a basket of barley was brought, and some grains of the barley were scattered on the victim, and on the ground round about it. These actions were the beginning of the sacrifice, and the technical term for making this beginning was the verb enarchesthai
which Paul uses here. The verb used for completing the whole ritual of sacrifice was the verb epitelein
which Paul uses here for to complete [NOTE: checking Interlinear Greek NT i see epitelesei only in Philippians 1:6, not epitelein, which only appears in Hebrews 8:5]
Heb 8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make <2005> the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
οιτινες υποδειγματι και σκια λατρευουσιν των επουρανιων καθως κεχρηματισται μωυσης
μελλων επιτελειν (EPITELEIN; this form of 2005 επιτελεο epiteleo only appears here; see ποιειν) την σκηνην ορα γαρ φησιν ποιησεις παντα κατα τον τυπον τον δειχθεντα σοι εν τω ορει (Hebrews 8:5; Interlinear Greek NT).
Who serve <3000 λατρευω latreuo; Tense-Present; Voice-Active; Mood-Indicative; from latris (a hired menial)> unto the example <5262 υποδειγμα hupodeigma; a sign suggestive of anything, delineation of a thing, representation, figure, copy; an example: for imitation; of the thing to be imitated; for a warning, of a thing to be shunned; from 5263 υποδεικνυμι hupodeiknumi; to show by placing under (i.e. before) the eyes; to show by words and arguments, i.e. to teach; to show by make known future things> and shadow <4639 σκια skia; shadow; shade caused by the interception of light; an image cast by an object and representing the form of that object; a sketch, outline, adumbration> of heavenly things <2032 επουρανιος epouranios (epi-ouranos); of heavenly origin or nature>, as Moses ["drawing out"] was admonished of God <5537 χρηματιζω chrematizo; to transact business, esp. to manage public affairs; to give a response to those consulting an oracle, to give a divine command or admonition, to teach from heaven; to assume or take to one's self a name from one’s public business; Tense-Perfect; Voice-Passive; Mood-Indicative; from 5536 χρημα chrema; money, riches; a thing, a matter, affair, event, business> when he was about <3195 μελλω mello; to be about; to be on the point of doing or suffering something; to intend, have in mind, think to; a strengthened form of 3199 (through the idea of expectation); Tense-Present; Voice-Active; Mood-Participle> to make <2005 Strong's επιτελεω epiteleo (epi-teleo) — IGNT επιτελειν (see above); to bring to a close, to finish, to end; to perform, execute, complete, fulfil, (so that the thing done corresponds to what has been said, the order, command etc; to pay; "It is finished or paid" Joh 19:30); Tense-Present; Voice-Active; Mood-Infinitive> the tabernacle <4633 σκηνη skene>: for, See, saith he, that thou make <4160 ποιεω poieo; Tense-Aorist; Voice-Active; Mood-Subjunctive (mood of possibility and potentiality; action described may or may not occur, depending upon circumstance)> all things according to <2596 κατα kata; down from, through out; according to, toward, along> the pattern <5179 τυπος tupo; τυπος has many meanings, among the most common being image, pattern or model, and type. In the last sense it means a person or thing prefiguring a future person or thing, e.g., Adam as a type of Christ, Ro 5:14; αντιτυπος, as used in 1Pe 3:21, is by Thayer and many others thought to correspond to τυπος as its counterpart, in the sense which the English word antitype suggests. By Cremer it is rather given the meaning image> shewed <1166 δεικνυω deiknuo; to show, expose to the eyes; to give evidence or proof of a thing; to show by words or teach; Tense-Aorist; Voice-Passive; Mood-Participle> to thee in the mount <3735 ορος oros; probably from an obsolete oro (to rise or "rear", perhaps akin to 142 airo, cf 3733 ornis="hen"); a mountain>.
• Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do <2005> cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
• Romans 15:28 When therefore I have performed <2005> this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.
• 2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting <2005> holiness in the fear of God.
• 2 Corinthians 8:6 Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would <2005> also finish <2005> in you the same grace also.
• 2 Corinthians 8:11 Now therefore perform <2005> the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a performance <2005> also out of that which ye have.
• Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye <2005> now made perfect <2005> by the flesh?
• Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform <2005> it until the day of Jesus Christ:
• Hebrews 8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make <2005> the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
• Hebrews 9:6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing <2005> the service of God.
• 1 Peter 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished <2005> in your brethren that are in the world.